Thursday, December 11, 2008

Workout LA: Gio's Brooklyn Boxing Club (Los Angeles)

I had the chance to take a boxing class at Gio's Brooklyn Boxing Club in Burbank. Let it be known that I would NEVER EVER just walk into a boxing club and be comfortable saying, "So, can I take a class here?" But this was a special circumstance with a group of women all coming together for a group outing so it was hugely less intimidating than it should have been.

*photo from Gio's website

When I arrived, I had to buy hand wraps and then had one of the guys wrap up both of my hands with the following result:



Our class was taught in stations with Christopher Hicks and his wife Stephanie instructing. We started out learning our punches and kicks, followed by some cardio work on stairs, treadmill, and elliptical. After that, we put on the gloves for some punching on the bags! Then we did some kicking on the bags and then put the gloves back on for some sparing! That was the most fun. We ended the day with more cardio (jumping jacks, lunges, and push ups). It was a great work out and so much fun to hit and kick and yell! Only thing that kind of put me off is that those gloves do not smell good! I'll have to buy my own if I ever decide to take up boxing!


Punching bags
*photo from Gio's website


Boxing ring that we didn't use
*photo from Gio's website

Gio's Brooklyn Boxing Club
116 S. San Fernando Blvd.
Burbank, CA 91502

No comments :