Thursday, June 18, 2009

NomNoms: Simpang Asia (Los Angeles)

Simpang Asia is a little Indonesian cafe and grocery store located in my neighborhood. Matt and I went here for the first time in the middle of May and have been back two more times since then. Why have we gone so many times, you ask? You will soon find out.

This concoction is not why. We made the mistake of stirring this thing one time and it was terrible. The brown stuff on the bottom is brown sugar so it mixed in with all the other stuff and it was basically like drinking sand.

This is also not why we have returned so many times in the last month. It is the nasi bungkus which is made up of steamed rice served w/ chicken curry, beef rendang, Balinese style egg, spiced potato w/ bits of chicken gizzard, and vegetable light curry wrapped in a banana leaf. I found it too bland.

The fried chicken was actually pretty good and I would order it again. The sauce is very sticky and sweet but it was a little too boney for me.

Finally, I present you the es teler. Jackfruit, young coconut meat, and avocado with shaved ice and condensed milk. It is soooo yummy. It's supposed to be a "drink" but to me, it is a dessert. I like to pretend that it's even a healthy dessert and then I remember the condensed milk. Oh well, it's still yummy.


Simpang Asia
10433 National Blvd,
Los Angeles, CA 90034

No comments :